FAQs from Contractors

Asbestos Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I get an Ohio EPA Notice of Demolition and Renovation or Regulated Asbestos Materials Shipment form?

Forms and instructions can be obtained from the asbestos links page. (Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view forms online, and is available as a free and easy download at Adobe's web site).

Who is responsible for submitting the notification: the building owner or the contractor handling the renovation/demolition?

The owner and contractor share the notification responsibilities. They must decide together who will submit the notification. The party who signs the notification is responsible for the $100 notification fee. Checks and money orders should be made payable to the Treasurer of Hamilton County. The EPA can hold either or both parties responsible if neither provide adequate notice. Once a project is completed, Ohio EPA will bill the owner or contractor for any RACM removed plus a $75 notification fee. This fee is separate from the fee charged by Hamilton County.
There are changes coming to the asbestos program. This Ohio EPA fact sheet provides details. 

Where can I find an Ohio Asbestos Hazard Evaluation Specialist to perform a survey?

Lists of certified Ohio Asbestos Hazard Evaluation Specialists and Contractors are available on the Ohio Department of Health website. This site also includes lists of accredited labs for asbestos sample analysis, approved asbestos training classes and training centers, and landfills that accept asbestos containing materials.

Where do I send the notifications?

Demolition and renovation/abatement notifications may be submitted to Ohio EPA online via its eBusiness Center. Hard copies, with full fee payment on a check or money order payable to "Treasurer, State of Ohio," must be mailed to: Asbestos Program, Ohio EPA DAPC, P.O. Box 1049, Columbus, Ohio 43216-1049 OR Asbestos Program, Ohio EPA, DAPC, 50 W. Town St., Suite 700, Columbus, OH 43215. 

Whom may I contact if I have additional questions?

Contact Ken Wilkins at 513-946-7743, or Dawn Mays at 513-946-7758